Saturday, January 2, 2010

Haste makes waste

Stayed up until about 330am last night and only had about 3 hours of sleep. Glad Zack was a-coaching because I made a last minute decision to do the metcon with the last heat of the 10am class.

10:50am

As many reps as possible in 4 minutes of C&J.
5 reps

I wasn't sure if I got 5 or 6 in so we'll call it 5 for not being able to count. I was suppose to have 195 on the bar but in my excitement and haste I ended up loading the bar at 205 (about 85%). Doh! Anyways, still thought it was a good workout. I had about 4 reps in around the minute marker or a little past but jerks fatigued really quick! Had a fail getting under 6, a really bad catch and didn't even attempt the jerk on 7, on my 8th squat clean I was trying to get myself to split jerk it but just couldn't get under it. Not sure how much of this had to do with the fatigue of yesterdays front squats or just the weight being heavy. The mind said yes, the body was like "go f*ck off" (Wow, does that sound like a "Big man" Eric thing or what!?")! The good thing is I'm getting more stable at having the weight overhead. Bad thing is I suck at jerks. I noticed this when watching the videos from the WCCF Winter Oly Meet. I have no idea how I did 109kg with barely getting under the bar. Just watching myself, I would even be like, "if that asshole had a bit more technique he should be able to do a minimum of 20-30 more lbs".

I was super hungry, but knew if I ate, I'd be pushing off the CFE wod until tonight. So at 11:30ish did the CFE Lactate Shuttle wod. Brett joined me for this one.

11:30am
5min on/2:30 off, 6min on/3:00 off, 7min on/stop

1275m/1433m/1736m

I was consistently behind Brett about 200m per row but still sticking with forcing myself into this "correct" form. First row felt in the forearms, second was mid-back, third was mid- and lower-back. Still having a hard time pacing on these but the biggest benefit is that I'm able to up the pace a little sooner every time. Highest number I seen was a 2:10 and that was on a butt adjustment.

It's nappy time!!! I guess if you plan on sleeping more than 3 hours it's sleep. Time to get my mid-day sleep on!

5 comments:

  1. thanks for staying up with me and facebooking with me late last night so i had someone to talk to while waiting for my stitches!!! you're the best, coach!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach - on your CFE interval work, do you still sprint at the end? If so, do you start letting it rip at :45 remaining, :30, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still sprinting. I started off starting to speed up 1:00 min out, then to 1:30 then 2:00... In a matter of less than a week I could bump up the pace a bit earlier like at 3:00 before without dying. Last 1:00-:30 is 90%-100% all out sprint (now in correct row form).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coach - what is your pace during your sprint?

    ReplyDelete
  5. High 1:40s low 1:50s depending on the row/fatigue.

    ReplyDelete