Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fatigue management

Alright, started out this morning with some sore calves and some sore quads. I decided I was going to do a little self-experiment... in FATIGUE MANAGEMENT. The last thing that I wanted to do was anything that involved my quads and/or calves, but come Sectionals we are going to possibly do 2, maybe even 3 wods within 2-3 hour gaps. I wanted to see how well I could move a decent load fatigued. 


10:30am
Reps of 15-12-9 of:
135# thrusters
and pull ups
5:11


Decently happy with this one. I estimated about 7-8 minutes, so 5 kicks ass. The only downfall is that I should have been able to move through faster. 1st round unbroken! Pretty stoked about that. Then it fell apart quick it was something like 5,3,3,2,2 and in the last round maybe 3,2 last 4 were single squat clean thrusters. Glad to have Randy do this one with me because I mentally let myself slide a little when Alison called 4:52 or something around that as I was getting to the pull up bar. I had about 3 in when Randy jumped up and started busting out some butteflies. I broke 5/4 on the last pull up set.


1:00pm
70# swings, 25 reps (games standard, bottom completely vertical) had Mandie watch to ensure all reps were good. Unbroken! (No extra reps!)


1:30pm
Feeling slight fatigue in grip strength I decided to roll with more fatigue management. "ladies" Fran
Reps of 21-15-9
65# thrusters
pull ups (reg kipping no buttefly)
3:42 about :30 seconds slower than the last time I remember.


Pretty funny the first 21 didn't even feel good but didn't break any thrusters. First 21 pull ups unbroken!, took a long pause in the top of the 15 thrusters, 7,8 on the second pull up set, 9 straight on the last. I told myself I'd rather slip off the bar and fall on my head than break it up.


In the last 8 out of the last 10 days, I've been on the damn rower. Although I want to get better on the erg. I need some variety! I headed to Sports Authority for some cold weather gear. I did some research on-line and seen the good shit was expensive. I bought some UA Illumination Pants, UA neck gaiter/hood, Nike gloves (and a couple pair of socks). $180 bucks ouch! What's worse is I left my $50 Gift card at home. Anyways, I got home and could wait until tomorrow to test it out...or return it if it sucked.


17 degrees and getting dark out. Here's the gear, dry-fit type shirt, thermal shirt, Burton soft shell jacket, UA pants, long socks, Puma shoes, UA hood thing and beanie over it. 


5:00pm 
CFE wod 2xby time: 2x12min 2 minutes rest in between intervals
1st interval 1.48mi
2nd 1.37mi
(Distances calculated by mapmyrun.com)
I figure if it got too cold I was going back in and hitting the row. The outcome...
Fucking awesome! The pants well worth the $80, Hood well worth the $20, Gloves well worth the $25 even the key holder worked well! I was never cold! 


The first issue I had was it's hard to breathe out of fabric compressing your nose and mouth, first I slid it off my nose, then about 5 minutes in I brought it under my lips...much better. Still not cold. I really like how easy it is to breathe in the cold (when fabric is not covering your breathing passages). The only other issue I had was cramping in the left VMO at the end of the first 12 minutes during the rest. I figure I'd just work on pulling the pose way and hopefully my hammies would tire... no such luck, by the last 3 minutes I was cramping really bad in both VMO but there's no way I would stop because if I did I wouldn't be able to stand. Fun Stuff. Fatigue management right. Anyways, did the last minute on my block so my neighbors could hear me scream for Mandie if I needed. Came inside and it was about 10 minutes before cramps subsided.


Looking forward to more CFE wods outside, but I will continue to work on the rower also.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried running in the cold before but seems kind of a fun idea if you got the right gear, plus i think running in the cold makes your lunges work a little differently plus test your mettle a little bit.

    ReplyDelete