Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fear

Today I had tons of apprehension about the planned wod. I watched this video of Jason Khalipa murdering this wod:

Khalipa does WORKOUT 1/5/2010 in 2:46 from crossfitoneworld on Vimeo.

Now, that's some sick shit! I didn't even think I could make it through the wod at that weight. I'm not very good at power cleans. I planned to do it at 135 and see if I could do it in 3-5 minutes. Then, I figured that's a little too manageable for me so I was thinking 165 would put me in an uncomfortable enough place. Still hesitant and back and forth, eventually I was considering just to man up and do it at weight no matter how long it took me. My only fear... would I be able to finish? I haven't really questioned finishing a workout in a really long time. Why not find out?

Despite Mango's insistence that I just shut the fuck up and do it, Bryce came up with a completely different option which was do 30 power cleans at 185... that's a much better idea! It's funny how something could be so simple but we want to make it complex for ourselves.

12:30pm
For time:
185 Power cleans, 30 reps
5:38

Chained the first 4 together which was a big start for me. Hit 15 at 2:33. I had 10 left and Bryce was like  fucking do it, you haven't failed yet. Wow, never had that even crossed my mind! It sounds so simple once again but really changed my train of thought. (Bryce is my new master of KISS (keep it simple stupid) I pretty much picked up the next 4 reps with minimal rest. 30th rep...failed it. Took me a little to pick up the last one but finished.

I made it and I'll probably be shit sore tomorrow in my traps, but I need to work a bit more with heavy weights. I've finally got comfortable with 95 and 135 which a are good CrossFit numbers, but not competition weight. I used to think Rob Orlando was just messed in the head doing things like 225 cleans for 50 reps (http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_Orlando_50cleans225.mov) but rethinking my whole outlook on that. Even a bunch of our gal competitors have had recent success in using a 20 wall ball to aid in helping using a 14 wall ball. So why not?

Warmed up with 1x15 CTB pull ups.
Finished off with 3x10 OH lunges 135#s.

Things to work on:
multiple heavy jerks (receiving and working while breathing hard), power snatch, ctb pull up (as well as the other boat load of CF things I suck at).

9:00pm UPDATE
Man does it rock to have a great fiance. I had to run errands and she dabbled with some spaghetti squash today. I wasn't a big fan (too sweet for me) but it was really cool to try something different.

7 comments:

  1. Sweet, Rudy! Nice work. It was super intense watching you tackle that wod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this bolg thing is very cool! i have been seeing alot of CFC'ers doing 2 a days and feel like I am missing out out and falling behind if I dont keep up and do some 2 a days as well! Your blog is very helpful and so fun to read! Love the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime Rudy. Always happy to swear at you for motivational purposes. Or just swearing in general. Nice work pushing those last reps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i ready through this the first time, i forgot that you said bryce was helpful, and could only remember you thanking your fiance... so when I read his comment i thought... is Bryce your fiance??? Then I re-read. Oops. Much better this way. You two would make an... interesting couple. And Mango would DIE of jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to work at heavier weights too embrace the uncertain

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed the posts with people working with 20# WBs to make 14# WB easier in a WOD. I worked with a 14# WB this morning... maybe I should try this 20# WB thing too.

    Having a great significant other is key. JJ cooks most (if not all) of our paleo meals... I'd have a much harder time sticking with it if it wasn't for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips tonight. I need lots of work. I'm a stripper deadlifter - I just need to accept it. Motherf*cker I hate that lift.

    ReplyDelete