Friday, August 13, 2010

Humbled

My swimming adventure today was a very humbling one. I've been in pools and in water, but today made me realize that I haven't really attempted to "work" on swimming since my misadventures in the Marine Corps.

I finally made it to LVAC to use the pool. Alison and Stephanie gave me some homework for the pool. 8 laps using a kick board. Sounds good and easy right?

I get up to the roof deck and there's about 10 people upstairs and of course no one in the pool. I get this feeling of nervousness as I'm about to jump in the pool. I push the kick board out in front of me as instructed and start kicking. In my mind I'm thinking "holy shit this is exhausting" I look up to see how far I am and viola I'm a whole 10' away. No joke. WTF!!! I give it another whirl to exhaustion again and boom another 10'. EMBARRASSING! not that I give two shits about the people watching me but my performance as an individual is humiliating. I consider myself a very kinesthetically aware person and an athlete in general, strong, I move pretty well, flexibility is limited... I know my limitations and swimming could not be this hard! I frantically start shooting out texts and emails to my swim coaches letting them know of my abysmal performance. A very disheartening experience.

I'm planning to work on it 2-3x a week!!! Bryce and Chris said they don't believe me because I always have theses ideas that I don't follow through with. This isn't just a cool thing to do ie like a back tuck. This is a fitness skill that I am horrible at and that is enough for me to want to work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment