Monday, September 6, 2010

Mentally bruised

Warm up: 2x20 pull ups. Lost rhythm in the second set.

Split Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

When I was on Westside/pre-neck/shoulder injury I was very close to getting a 300#Jerk. 275 and 285 was easy.

185-225-245f-245-275f

225 was no where as easy as it should have been. Overhead was not a problem but lockout was soft. After reviewing the video it shows slight bend in the arm.

I loaded up 245 and was completely shocked that I missed it. It was a slow dip/drive but I got under it plenty, stabilization was loose. I tired to save it and felt a little twinge in the back. Repeated 245 and made it but it still didn't feel good. Completely demoralized I put 275 on the bar just to feel the weight, good aggressive drive but push it slightly out in front and gave up on it way too soon. Also, my weightlifting belt is a little too loose now that I'm lighter.

Extension to get elevation on the bar felt great.

No where close to an optimal position to receive the bar. Back angle is scary! The restriction of the shoulder mobility is tilting my rib cage forward and making this super inefficient. Weight distribution too heavy in the front. Sad thing is this is the one that I made at 245#.

Just mentally beat up I decided to work on overhead squats. Loaded 95# to warm up and it felt bad. Another kick to the ego considering 255#s was my previous 1RM.

Checked the video and the first set was definitely knee dominant. The shoulder doesn't want to recess slightly back, so the knees and the lower back are compensating. It looks like I'm achieving a good overhead position and shoulders are definitely active however if you check the angle of my rib cage you'll notice the compensation.

It may be slight, but if you notice the excessive curve in my lower back is actually caused by the restriction of my shoulders and the angle of my rib cage/ thoracic spine
After a little work this is about as good as I could get it for now. Position is much more "stacked" and it was no longer knee dominant. 

This brings me to the realization that I need to fix things that are broken. The snatch and the overhead squat are eventually going to tweak my back or me knee if I don't address it now.

I wanted to do another 3-on-1 off of mainsite but I think I'll call it after doing "Linda" tomorrow. Calculating it, tomorrow will actually be 9 weeks of doing Mainsite. I missed 4 days so my 8 weeks of committing to mainsite is still complete. I think it has helped me in the long run but looking forward to working back in with the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment