Thursday, December 31, 2009

Clock whores

Click here if you need to read the article from D.Chapman at HyperFit CrossFit in MI on what a clock whore is.

Committed to being your best sometimes means ignoring the clock. Bryce and I always talk about there's often ways to do things fast and to do things right. For me, rowing is one of those things. I could have rowed with my current technique (or lacking of) and made it under 20. Is that going to get me better in the long run...maybe, but I'm not willing to find out in the next 5 weeks. I'd rather correct it now and get faster on good form.

5:00pm
5k row 20:51.6

I committed to not going past the handle holder in "the catch" in the front, not allowing my heels to come up, and not leaning back more than 30 degrees in "the swing".

I had my computer within an arms reach and replayed this video over and over and over.


Reading a bit more on rowing and upped my strokes per minute up to 24s/m from 5000-4000m and also 2000-1000m. 3999-2001 decreased back to a comfortable 20/21s/m. Last 1000m upped it to 27s/m. Even with yesterdays glute pain, glutes and hammies were fine. The mid to upper back is a different story. Trying the whole "holding the rib cage up with the lower back is really new to me.

Watch the videos a couple of times and see what you think. My row average is about 10 sec slower but fatigue point is lower. Ok... that would make sense to any idiot (slower time/less fatigue), but that fatigue point is significantly and disproportionately much lower.


The bad thing about skill work (see previous post) is that you don't feel CrossFit exhausted.

6:20pm
for time: 100 push ups 100 squats 7:38
(HA! If I could do 100 pull ups and 100 sit ups in 3 minutes I could beat Speal...Ha ha ha! 70 pull ups in a row) Speal does Angie in 10:??

push ups 25@25, 50@108, finish at 4:46
squats 34@5:20, 67@6:29, finish at 7:38

3 comments:

  1. Also, I forgot, I know we aren't big mirror folks, but used the window as a mirror to monitor my catch and swing angles in the beginning. It's like oly lifting just can really feel how much 30 degrees was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok i haven't done angie in a long time i wonder how i would do..but 70 pull ups is insane...on another note how do you get the youtube video too show?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a slow load. You can either double-click to open it in a new window or single to have it play embedded. Or do you mean how to put it in your blog? If so, open it in a new window and there is the code in youtube in the upper right hand corner to embed.

    ReplyDelete