Monday, December 20, 2010

Snatch Obsession

So when I say I have a snatch obsession, I don't think people really know what an obsession is. It's 1:00am and I just finished a small video on a sample of how much I actually analyze my videos. I'm convinced if I can make small changes daily and reinforce basics I can make my goal sooner than expected. I'd snatch right now if I had a barbell at home and my thumbs didn't hurt so much. Oh yeah! Hit a 205 hang snatch today! That is 4.8 lbs more than my max snatch so I'm hoping my snatch number is getting better.


Alright, this is the 4th time I'm uploading this video due to typos and other bullshit.
I embedded this, but open it full screen for a true appreciation of it!!!

Snatch Analysis from Rudy Tapalla on Vimeo.


This is the video I use to see what the most optimal position is:

3 comments:

  1. Cool breakdown. I've never even noticed your 1st pull footwork before. Something I'll have to keep a better eye on for all of our athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you missed two on the corrected form video.

    1) Your left foot still comes up just after the bar passes your knee. Are your legs the same length? (I'm actually serious -- some variation is normal.)

    2) Also, I would say Liao's catch is like 4 inches lower than your deepest squat, and maybe 8 inches deeper than your squat when you first straighten your arms (your video, 2:11, his at 1:34). But he just drops all the way down, while you seem to stabilize slowly into the squat. I can't tell if that's you trying not to power snatch by lowering (in which case you need to get down quicker), or if there's a stability issue. That's a BIG difference. Huge.

    beery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback Beery.

    I don't mind the slight toe raise. It actually happens in both feet. This is actually something that I had to change in my setup working with Roger. The weight starts in the mid/ball of foot and then transitions to the heel when the bar gets to the knees.
    As long as the foot doesn't turn out to re-adjust I think I'm ok... not sure yet.

    As for the catch, I looked at that a couple of times. My recording of my re-learned snatch is at only at 135 and I definitely rode it down too much. As for catching lower, I think the heavier the weight, the lower the catch/faster I'd try and get under. Looking at the 91kg snatch at :51 is about as low as I can comfortably catch for now.
    I'll try and record what my catch looks like with the wider grip and see how that changes it also.

    ReplyDelete