Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why CrossFit Sucks

No need to reintroduce myself and apologize for not posting for the ten-thousandth time.

I recently attended the Midwest Performance Enhancement Seminar at IFAST. When I attend these strength and conditioning events I expect and never am let down without hearing "Why CrossFit sucks" from presenters that have no clue what we do and base it off what they have seen on "youtube". I know what is currently flawed with CF (the majority) in my eyes and maybe I'll post about that in the future but not what this one is for.

There was a presenter, Joel Jamieson, that was giving a presentation on "Managing the Training Process". He gave a great presentation overall. When he was talking about the training process he pulled up a slide and just said "this is why CrossFit sucks". It was a rare occasion where I was presented with information that I couldn't contest because I didn't understand it.


I had no clue how to respond let alone what the hell mTOR, APK, AMPK was. So, I sat quietly, took notes, then went home to research. After researching still couldn't understand it much. I reached out to Robb Wolf who graciously emailed me and gave me the basic gist of it. I'm not going to go into the specifics of our conversation but it led me "down the rabbit hole".

Glenn was able to dig some stuff up for me as he has a bit more access as a CSCS to research. So thankful.

This picture below has reshaped much of the way I look at training for GAMES ATHLETES. I had to caps that as I feel it is important to differentiate the difference between CrossFit, the Sport of CrossFit, and CrossFit Games athletes.

Have fun digesting this one! Yes, I spend time reading and researching this stuff...and enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. Rudy,

    Yep, Joel is a smart guy for sure. He wrote a great piece about Energy Systems as well: http://www.8weeksout.com/2011/05/24/a-new-perspective-on-energy-systems-video/

    Joel also had a guest post at my site about different types of conditioning: http://myathleticlife.com/?p=524

    All the best,

    ...Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, Thanks for the comment and the links! His book is so under-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be interested in your take of the 3 different categories of Crossfitters ... will you be posting something on that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have the reference to the paper that figure is from? If so, I would be interested in the results of the study they conducted.

    ReplyDelete