Friday, July 8, 2011

Why Zinc?

"Low zinc levels can decrease sperm output, cause testicular shrinkage, reduce testosterone, slow muscle growth, decrease immune function, cause gastrointestinal problems, slow wound healing and create problems with the skin and appetite.5 If we can assume that you are even mildly zinc deficient, then it is also reasonable to assume that you may be experiencing some of those symptoms, sometimes without even knowing it. Unfortunately, I see way too many athletes work really hard but miss out on gains because they're not addressing one of the most fundamental nutritional factors."

Enough said.

Read more from www.charlespoliquin.com

I'm not a fan of taking supplements but if someone can prove to me I should be and it makes a difference in 2 weeks then I'm game.

Bryce said if you have lines in your nails, it may be a sign of zinc deficiency. Read more up about signs and symptoms, I guess that is true as well as having white spots under your nails (which I have had before but thought it was from banging my nails against odd things at the box).
The pic also has the lines in the nails.

WS4SB Day4
A Max push ups 35/25/14 (not true max but stopped once speed slowed)
B1 Pull ups (wide, attempted chins but pain in elbow) 4x10
B2 Band Pull-aparts (black dbled) 4x12
C DB Milt Press 40# 4x10
D1 DB shrugs (Passed on these on workout 1, but since I didn't get to oly lift did these. I also guess I really need these since they sucked) Full powerblocks 3x10
D2 BB Rev Curls (tried curls, but pain in elbow) 3x10
5 3" pinch grip 25# 3x3

8 comments:

  1. A couple of people told me they had issues posting to comments so I adjusted them. Hopefully all will be right now.

    I'm going to post them separately below so I can answer everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E:

    - Along Jim's question, could you recommend specific movements?

    -Is the lower back pain becasue of both immobile hips and immoblie shoulders? Should I be doing mobility for both?

    -What is the point where my shoulder/hips mobility is deemed 'good enough to put a bar overhead?' Is that a factor of time or a certain ROM?

    -Also, everything seems to irritate my lower back right now. I'm thinking about shutting it down for a couple of weeks, then coming back with the mobility work and mod-wods until healthy. I've been trying to putz through with ice and mod-wods for a month now, but it seems to be getting worse. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. C:

    What exactly do you mean by manual therapy? Its difficult for me to access my back soreness because it feels great at the moment. I do agree with you though that the soreness is due to shoulders, or hips or both. Any other suggestions on places to go or movements to do would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @E, I can't recommend any specific movements. If you have watched K-Stars stuff from MWod you have to do the whole test/re-test thing to see what in particular works for you.

    If your shoulders and your hips suck. Yes, work on both.

    Once you have full range of motion you can go back to overhead work. So as long as you can get your arms straight up with a neutral spine. Anyone can get arms overhead with a compromised spine (that's how the pain got there in the first place).

    When you have back pain the best thing you can do is rest it. If it can tolerate it work in non-moving stabilized positions (plank, side plank). I'm also more a fan of heat for the back than ice. There's not a good amount of blood circulation back there so heat pools blood to the site (ice does the opposite, that's why we use it for inflammation)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @C, Manual therapy = certified professional putting their hands on you to break up scar tissue. You'll learn about it tomorrow if you show up.

    Only thing that I can suggest is mobility in joints that need to be mobile and strengthening in the joints that need to be stable. I know it sounds obvious but for you mobility in the shoulder joint, strength in the scapular stabilizers. Mobility in the hips, stability in the lumbar spine. When in doubt re-read my "Mobility and Stability article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen recommendations for 15mg and up, what kind of dosage do you suggest? What type of zinc are you suggesting? Also note the anti-nutrients in grains and legumes will bind up zinc and other minerals and make them unusable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zack, I would suggest that dosage is very low. If you are zinc deficient, jagged ridges in your fingernails, you could be looking at up to 450mg/day for men. For the healthy population, you're looking at 300mg/day. This should be taken with food.

    Each capsule of Poliquin's formula is: Zinc Aspartate 50mg
    Zinc Orotate 25mg

    So, 3 capsules 2x/day for deficient people. 2 capsules 2x/day for maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vitamin A supplementation is another important and low-cost intervention for controlling severe and potentially fatal diarrheal episodes.
    Zinc supplement

    ReplyDelete