Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cortisol

I feel like the previous post was more a rant than anything learned so here is something new for me. This is actually something not from the Weingroff DVDs.


This is from Precision Nutrition (Dr. John Berardi's site) and not sure the validity or the source of the research but probably enough to test if you have elevated levels of cortisol. He states sources at the end of the article but none that specifically would direct me for more information on the stated findings.

"Time of day and time of eating

The degree of cortisol release during high intensity exercise depends in part on the time of day and the timing of meals. When exercise is performed during a time of already high cortisol levels (for example, in the morning), it doesn’t increase above already elevated levels.

Cortisol secretion displays 7 to 15 spontaneous or meal-associated “pulses” throughout the day.

Cortisol circadian rhythms are closely coupled to the sleep-wake cycle. Peak cortisol release occurs between 7 and 9 in the morning, the time of dark-light transition."


Click here for a link to the article.

4 comments:

  1. Rudy!
    I am very interested in this concept. I would find that after taking in house call and having disrupted sleep patterns and long days, I would have to rest on my post call days till my body could reset. That diagram above represents me to a "T" until about 3 months ago. In addition, once I didn't have to do that anymore, I am making gains in leaps and bounds. I have seen you mention it before, but is cortisol implicated in this? What are some ways to perhaps fight these effects?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cortisol is huge.

    The best thing you can do is improve everything on the left side of the arrow on the first image. I usually let know people that have mandatory shift work your f*cked, but just do everything you can do to help the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have to say that switching out of my consulting gig into industry has resulted in more regular sleep and wake-up times. I'd like to think that my cortisol levels might be getting straightened out since I can get my WODs in at 6pm instead of 7pm and get to bed by midnight at the latest. Not sure if it's mental or not but I feel like my lower ab fat might finally be shrinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW stressors are not only perceived mental stressors but can take odd forms like: food sensitivities , high-intesnsity workouts...

    ReplyDelete