Thursday, December 8, 2011

"Small glass, little water"

It has been a while, had a bunch going on but things are going much more smooth now. I feel very compelled to write an article on this topic because I've had this conversation 2 days in a row.

This is my most current analogy for CrossFit/strength/technique.

Our goal is to carry as much water as possible from A to B.

CrossFit is the water in the glass. You can fill it as much as you want but you will be limited to the size of your glass and how well you carry it.

The size of your glass is determined by how strong you are. If you are obnoxiously strong ie have a big glass. You can fill it half way with water have crappy balance and let it slosh all over the place and most of it will remain in the glass and still be carried.

Your technique is what determines how well you carry the glass. It determines how steady you can be without spilling any water.

First, you must determine your goal. How fast do you want to move the water from one place to another. Then what is the best way for you to move the water? It's very person dependent:

Do you want to make your technique so good that you can fill your small glass to the rim and not spill a drop?

Quite often in CrossFit we see people that have a small glass and get so good (technique) at CrossFit they can fill the water up to the rim, but eventually they realize they need a way bigger glass to hang with the big boys. This is where a bunch have jumped on Westside for Skinny Bastards, Starting Strength, 5/3/1...

Do you want a big glass so you can recklessly run with a big glass and little water?

It's a good idea in theory but it is super hard to be that disciplined. It often requires working out alone on weakness and once you've done CrossFit you remain thirsty and need to fill some water in. Why? because it's fun. There's a sense of adrenaline. You first push how close you can fill it to the rim. Then you get another rush from seeing how fast you can or can't walk with it loaded up. You get none of that while you are working on getting a bigger glass. Quite often some of that water evaporates and you feel like you have less than what you started with. Also, with a bigger glass the water looks less.




It is in my opinion the best way, as well as for longevity sake, you increase the size of your glass slightly, You then fill it with water, not quite to the rim where you need to be perfectly balanced but enough that you have to learn how to walk with it. Once you are skilled enough to handle how full it is, you move on. You get a slightly bigger glass, you fill it slightly with more water, and you continue learn to not spill much.

Scientifically we can't increase the size of the glass and the water at the same time (mTOR pathway... inhibiting protein synthesis...). It is very easy to get sick of pumping water into a glass that won't hold more water. It takes much longer to increase the size of your glass than it is to pour more water.

Technique/skills is something that ALWAYS needs to be worked on.


14 comments:

  1. That was a perfect analogy. Once we reached 3 months of strength training, I was starting to burn out and not have fun anymore. It has been such a great feeling to return to Metcons but I know that my new focus should be more on skill development. I'm hoping to have the best of both worlds, but will I be able to benefit from skills/Metcons simultaneously? I realize that it's a different beast than solely training to increase strength

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Gina. You can work strength and skills or you can work metcon and skills, just not metcon and true strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rudy: Great post! It is really good conceptually to hear it twice, and then read it. This makes a lot of sense to me. I am in the process of writing down all the skills I need to work on (besides everything) and what I feel that I should excel at.
    @Gina: Interesting. I am going the strength/skill route for the next month, with strength (as well as skill) being o lifting, and my long slow distance days as all skill work, +/- substitutions for various exercises. For example, instead of pressing, i will be doing hspu and ring dips perhaps. In this way, I also hope to have the best of both worlds, with metcons back in early January. Neat little experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our group discussion was very helpful overall, not just the analogy. That is a conversation I've wanted to have to decide what my goal should be. Last night discussing my weakest area (muscle ups since I can't get them at all) I realized that if I make muscle ups my goal I will simultaneously be strengthening my pull ups, ring dips, ring rows etc., right? Which to me is a really good thing because I also want to become stronger in those areas. Essentially, learning to do a muscle up does't mean I am only working on that skill because there are multiple skills/body weight strengths that go into that movement and if you don't have a strong foundation in those you won't get a muscle up, right?
    Secondary to that I think truly understanding the foundation of a movement or strength is also key. (The foundations classes are essential to build that knowledge and can't be repeated enough.) If I don't understand all the components to lifts, etc. then I'm truly just going through the motions, which is what I did for a long time. Sorry, I know I'm going in a different direction than your original topic, but it still relates back to knowing what to work on.
    One goal for me is increasing my knowledge - understanding the foundation of a skill (if skill is the right general term). I want to know what muscles we are working and what corresponding exercises I need to do to improve that one skill. I know there are many components that feed into one thing.
    I'm sure I'll think of more to say...but that's it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... that's an interesting question. Rudy, do you think that by working a skill you will necessarily gain the strength to do that skill? I don't know about that...it seems to me that if you fail the muscle up because of the ring dip, you need to do more ring dips, you know? If you fail because of the transition and movement pattern, that's different....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. Where to begin with this one.

    Yes and no. If you are working on muscle ups per say and your pulling muscles or your dips are fading you are no longer working on the technique of muscle ups you are working on the strength of whatever is fading. This fading of strength is actually a detriment because you no longer are maximally working the technique of a muscle up. You are working through certain localized fatigue with other muscles compensating to do the fatigued ones job.

    All in all if you are failing in the dip, use doing dip or dip supplemental work to fix that. If you are strong enough to pull and dip continuously, then you work on the technique of the transition in the muscle up. I was in the process of writing another article, but the gist of it. Use the right tool for the right job. You can pound a nail flush with a monkey wrench but is it as efficient as using a hammer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just need to work on getting strong

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding one more dimension to the glass analogy, there are those us with glasses lined with thick layers of bacon grease that limits how much water we can hold in it. I'm working on washing out the grease while keeping the glass the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How frequently should you change the stimulus? How long should you increase your cup before all the water evaporates? And how long should you fill it back up before the glass starts shrinking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kurt, That one really depends on what your goal and time frame is. I'm working on an article currently about the down side of the conjugate method for competitive CrossFitters. Sounds like blasphemy right?!?!?!?!? WESTSIDE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @JJ. Mmm. Bacon.

    @Emmitt,Yes, you do. Can you give up CrossFit long enough to dedicate time to getting stronger is the question?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been working on getting a bigger glass. Feel like I'm stuck in school while the rest of the kids are in recess. However, I keep my goal in mind -- to rx. For a naturally lean guy, it's not very easy. It's been almost 2 months on a strength training program built by Glenn Clarke and it's been going well. Anxious to see how this new car runs in a metcon. May have to go on/off strength training and Metcons 'til I hit that goal. Good stuff Rudy, keep it coming! -- 6AM Glen

    ReplyDelete
  13. i should very much like to add more water ... nice analogy ...

    my better half liked it a lot too... the westside/CFE stuff is getting scary here in the woods

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work Rudy. After CrossFitting for over 2.5 years, I've come to a point where I realize that I need to increase my glass in order to be a more balanced athlete.

    Like Kurt mentioned above, I'm now trying to figure out how often I should be changing things up. I'm finishing the sixth week of Westside for Skinny Bastards and the water in my glass is evaporating quickly. I've got two more weeks in this cycle and then I want to find a sustainable routine to go back and forth between strength and CF. The thing is I always want to be ready for "life" so I'm going to try and make these cycles short (possibly four weeks?) so that I don't loose too much water, even at the expense of increasing glass capacity slowly. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete